Creative Ideas For An Evaluation Essay About An American Movie
It’s common for students to be assigned to write a review on a movie. Sometimes you may be required to read the book first, then watch the movie and then write an evaluation essay. That’s a lot of material to go through! But your professor expects a thorough and detailed analysis. So, it’s helpful to know exactly where to start.
Choosing an American movie means there is a good chance most people have seen it or at least heard of it. You can’t make anything up or pretend you know what you’re talking about if you haven’t really watched the movie. So it goes without saying that the most important first step is to watch the film, maybe several times, before you begin to write.
Common steps to writing your evaluation essay
- Study the source material well. Know more than just what the plot of the film is. Research some additional facts, such as production details, the background of the actors/actresses, budget, director and their previous work etc.
- Watch the movie the first time for pure entertainment. Watch it again while taking notes. This will help you to not forget details you may want to include in your evaluation essay. Write down your impressions, thoughts and feelings about what’s happening or what you wished was happening. You may need to pause, reverse, etc. in order to not miss anything.
- Create a thesis, claim, argument or interesting point you will use as a focus for your paper. This is important because you don’t want your paper to be simply a summary of the events that happened in the film. You want it to be an evaluation. You will be analyzing different aspects of it.
- Write an interesting and compelling introduction for your paper. This is the most important paragraph because it captivates the reader. If you can’t get their attention, they won’t want to read the rest of what you’ve written. It should also introduce the thesis or theme you are covering in your paper.
- Keep your writing fresh, original, entertaining and informative. The purpose of the evaluation essay is to analyze criteria, make judgments, and present the supporting evidence to the reader. Give them something to really think about. Don’t just skim the surface and cover the obvious.
- Create a real solid conclusion. Wrapping up a great evaluation with a solid conclusion leaves a good impression on the reader.
Film Evaluative Essay
When I heard the title of film “Burnt,” I’ve already known that it is about some particularly outstanding, distinguished person. It is not based on the real story though looks real since lots of people may recognize themselves being crashed on the way to success struggling with obstacles similar to the main character. I will evaluate it with different criteria: plot, cast, scenery, critics. Fair criteria judgments may help a reader decide if he/she wants to see this film.
The flick is written by Steven Knight, directed by John Wells. I think, they made everything to make spectators enjoy the process, relaxing with a cup of tea. Someone may say that plot is a cliché. Maybe a little bit. Adam Jones was a chef of a restaurant in Paris although he failed due to strong drug addiction plus alcohol abuse. After three years he decided to start once more. He created a new team aimed working in a new restaurant. His aim was reaching the best award in restaurant world– three Michelin stars. Trying to achieve this aim he faced with betrayal, miscarriage and even problems with “old friends.” In “Burnt” love plotline is not the most important. The story is inspiring with quite unpredictable twists that make events much more interesting than in other drama films.
The quality of filming is good. Although few contradictions can be found (for example, disposition of bruises at the face or back). It does not influence much on the quality of the movie because it might be seen only looking quite attentively.
The cast was chosen perfectly. Well-known actor Bradley Cooper represents the main character, Adam Jones. Cooper starred in legendary television series “Sex and the City,” film “Wet Hot American Summer,” etc. He achieved various awards including two Golden Globes, four Oscars, and two BAFTA Awards. Meeting him in this movie was a great surprise! To add, a lot of other popular actors were playing in flick: Sienna Miller (famous with her rewards for film “The Girl”), Daniel Brühl (starred in “Good Bye, Lenin!”), Omar Sy (is best known for his role in “Jurassic World”), Riccardo Scamarcio, Matthew Rhys, Alicia Vikander, Emma Thompson and Uma Thurman (famous American actress and model). Actors were playing realistic, they make watchers support and compassionate them wholeheartedly. It is an easy watching movie.
The scenery is fascinating: people are creating something beautiful and delicious; it is charming, isn’t it? I remember the statement that excited me much showing leading idea of the whole movie. “If it is not perfect, throw it away.” Perfectionists great motto, don’t you think?
Clearly, spectators should eat well before viewing the movie or order tasty food because every dish in flicks looks extremely delicious that it makes the mouth water. The same, if you are going to shop hungry. The difference is that watching does not make you buy something though shopping being hungry does. Anyway, please, have something to eat.
Meals and desserts do not merely look tasty; observing how the chef is preparing food from the beginning till the end doing everything in the best way causes enjoyment of what you see and brings aesthetic satisfaction. “Burnt” is engaging film and worth seeing. Someone who disagrees can easily press the button “Stop” on the screen during watching or choose another flick. It is your choice!
In spite of critics liked Cooper starring the main character, they criticized the plot saying it is extremely clichéd and far from being the cream of the crop. It will be clear and fair to say that “Burnt” has no honors. Nevertheless, I recommend seeing this film to those, who are seeking inspiration, enjoyment, who admire works of art and beautiful sceneries or who just do not know what to see in the evening.
I prefer stories about inspiring people. They go through tough circumstances to reach desired success. They motivate me to make my passionate dreams about fulfilling job come true, to do something valuable for me and important to the world. Your surrounding is full of inspiring people. Those people are present not only in films – they are everywhere; you just need to open your mind and eyes to see them.
Written by: Grademiners.co
Tags: Essay, Evaluative, Film
Categorised in: Best Essays